The Anglican Church operated the Boys’ and Girls’ Orphanages
in St. John’s, Newfoundland, for over one hundred years from 1855 to 1968. In
1854 an outbreak of cholera spread quickly through the St. John’s area leaving
The Church governing body, under Bishop Edward Feild,
realized the need for a place to house those children. Church property was used
to accommodate the first orphans.
In 1855 a substantial amount of farm land was donated in the
Long Pond area of St. John’s . Since the Boys’ Orphanage occupied only a small
portion of the land, it was able to be cultivated to provide vegetables and
dairy. Some boys were often called upon to work the farm.